Just before President's Day weekend, Bay had all four wisdom teeth extracted. The two bottom ones were impacted and looking to potentially cause some problems with crowding etc. We arrived bright and early on a Friday morning. I have to be honest, I may have been more nervous than she was. I knew they were putting her out and I wasn't sure how she would react to it (as a mom that is nerve racking). Within 40 minutes of her being taken back to the surgery room, she was done. She remembers Dr. Steele saying "lets do some drugs" and the rest is a blur. When I went to see her in recovery, he said she did as well as you could ever hope. She was a very cooperative patient;) She couldn't talk ... obviously .... but she just kept looking at me with this confused/blank stare. I felt like she was a little baby again who didn't understand what was going on and my instinct was to want to scoop her up and take care of her. We went to pick up a shake (Dr orders) so she would have something in her belly before taking any more pain meds. We have the funniest video of her sitting in the back seat of the car and not knowing what she was supposed to do with the shake. She kept (trying) saying "I can't" and looking at us with these helpless eyes. Mark began to feed it to her and she started into this laughing/crying episode. I didn't get many pics because I was initially so worried about the surgery and then I was caught up in making sure she was okay:) I did snap this one as she was wheeled out to the car after.
The effects of the cocktail (a mixture of Versed, Fentanyl, Ketamine, Propofol and maybe something else I can't remember) lingered with her longer than expected. She was pretty loopy all day. Emmrey and Karsyn wanted desperately to get a video of her similar to all the ones they watch on YouTube. We didn't experience anything like that but she did have lots of busting out laughing over nothing in particular or a few times where she was really impressed with something she saw or heard that was pretty ordinary to the rest of us (for the record I think most of those "hilarious" post wisdom teeth videos are staged anyway;)
It was hard to get her to eat at all the first couple of days. She did enjoy some soup, applesauce and more ice cream than usual throughout the weekend. No major swelling or bruising. By the time she went back for her follow up and syringe/cleaning lesson a week later, her sockets were all pretty much healed over ... Dr. Steele couldn't believe what a fast healer she was!
Down 4 Wisdom teeth, but this girl is as wise as ever!


No comments:
Post a Comment