Monday, August 8, 2016

How Does Your Cabbage Grow?

The 3rd grade participated in the Bonnie Cabbage Program last Spring. In May, Emmrey brought home her little plant start and as soon as we could we got it in the garden. The Bonnie Plants Cabbage Program is a way to "engage children's interest in agriculture, while teaching them not only the basics of gardening but the importance of our food systems and of growing our own." I imagine most of those starters went home and just withered. However, our Emmrey is not one to shrug off a challenge. When she heard it was a contest and that there is a winner from each state that participates .... she was all in! The end of July it was time to harvest.
 I wasn't sure what to do with a huge cabbage. I don't make things with cabbage typically but I do like a good Coleslaw. So I found a good recipe to try and I thought it was delicious! We had Coleslaw for days ..... not sure the rest of the family was all that thrilled about that;)
We will have to wait to see how her cabbage measures up in the contest. Either way it was so fun to watch that thing grow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment