The news that my uncle Gerry had passed changed our travel plans to Utah slightly. We had originally planned to leave on Monday but ended up driving late Thursday to be there for the funeral Friday morning. Since my aunt Gayle was the only living sibling my mom ever had {the 3 others died as infants}, Gerry was the only uncle I had on that side of the family. I will always remember him as quiet, easy going and that he cooked a lot. Every time we camped together he was coaxed to make his campfire turnovers. While I never particularly liked them {because I don't really like cooked fruit} they will always standout as a memory of uncle Gerry.
The day was sunny and hot and such a contrast to the cold snowy day in February that we gathered here 12 years ago for my aunt. 

When my aunt passed away, Gerry was never the same. It was like he just lost the wind in his sail and it seems like he spent the last twelve years slowly going down hill.
| Jeff, Greg, Robert, David |
I was so glad that I got to be there to support my mom and cousins. I have not seen any of the Lakes {in person} since 2004. That's a long time. Being that my mom and aunt were so close, we spent a lot of time together as kids. I always loved being with my Lake cousins. They are just the type of people that are easy to like. I was especially close to Jolynn and Robert and have so many sweet memories of time with them. And you know what ... even though we are all older and many have children of our own, it felt a lot like it did when we were kids. Their family was always very different from mine and yet there were things about their gatherings that I really craved. I believe that is where my love of playing games may have developed. They are simple and unpretentious and so easy to be around.
I was thrilled that I got to spend this day with all six of them.
| Greg, Shana, Jolynn, Ashlee, Jami, Jeanette, Leslie, David, Kris, Jeff, Lori, Robert, Me {3 more and we would have had the whole gang:} |

No comments:
Post a Comment