Monday, June 20, 2016

Youth Conference and the 14er

After a week of relaxation the two teens headed off for Youth Conference.
 Emmrey and I dropped them off early in the morning and then we were off to her last day of swim lessons.  
They had three days full of high adventure! The first day they went river rafting in Idaho Springs. They did a half day trip on the Clear Creek just west of Denver. I had sent a camera in hopes that they would take some pictures for me. Unfortunately, they couldn't take any on the raft (for obvious reasons). I was hoping for a quick shot before they got on the raft, but didn't get that either. We will just have to settle for this one off the company website. I am sure it looked something like this. Just pretend you see the faces of Bailee and Karsyn there on that AVA raft. Nobody fell out, but Bailee did lose her paddle at one point. They both loved it and wished it had been a little wilder!
 The second day was spent hiking what is known as a 14er (meaning it is above 14,000 feet). This is a pretty big thing here in Colorado and there are 53 to choose from. They hiked Mount Bierstadt.
their motley crew
We weren't sure if they would actually make it to the top. Not because they aren't capable, but because we didn't know if there would still be too much snow.  They were thrilled to tell us that every single person in the group made it to the top.
 L-R: Sterling Holman, Kenton Allred, Will Daknis, Brentton Hardley, Kars, Bay, Isaac Flake, Riley Chadwick, Kate Stevens, Jarod Hoggan, Ty Mortensen, Joseph Martin, Bethnie Wall, Carrie Chadwick
It took them about 3 hours to summit. They told us about the "fake summit" that tricked you into thinking you were at the top. Karsyn said "it wasn't all that hard except for the last mile". I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have had such a positive attitude if she had been with us;) Bailee said "it was the most brutal hike she had ever done, but also the most rewarding". That is saying something because Bay has been our little hiker since she could walk ... for real! I know they are both so glad they did it. I am definitely impressed with both of them!
Nice panorama that someone took
Despite their mother, these girls are not much of a picture taker{unless it's on a phone, which they couldn't have on the trip}. Kars did take a few photos of them at the top of the peak, but that was it. Bailee ... nada!  Luckily some of the leaders took some candid shots around camp and sent them to me:)
 The last day they did a service project helping a family in town with their property that needed some sprucing. Honestly, I would have loved to see them do something more worthwhile in the community but I wasn't in charge and service is still service ... ... right? After seeing this photo, Bailee told me she appreciated that I "take another one just in case" ... ... HA:)
Pizza break on the porch.
I love that these two did this together. It has really been rewarding as a mom to see how they have bonded over these YW times together.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like an awesome trip. I cannot believe Kars is that tall! They are really growing up quick.

    ReplyDelete