18 years ago you transformed me into "momma" and paved the way for your sisters
18 years ago this tiny miracle opened my heart to feelings I never had before
18 years ago I learned what it meant to worry
We have hurtled through 18 years of learning together. For 18 years you have been the ever changing blueprint as I navigate through parenting decisions and (unfortunately) you have received the brunt of my mistakes.

At 18 years you are hard working, motivated, and focused. So much of that I can't take responsibility for. It is partly how you have been wired since birth. Even as a teenager, I have never had to worry about curfews or strict rules. Maybe you somehow knew I would be deficient in certain areas of motherhood and you subconsciously took the lead.

I look at you with awe. Sometimes having a hard time believing that you are the baby they put into my arms 18 years ago and equating the self-assured young woman with the little girl who was obsessed with Bear in the Big Blue House and having "smooth hair".

I was warned that the years would fly by. 18 years later, I finally understand what people meant. I am watching you get ready for college and that metaphor about spreading your wings and flying actually makes sense. You’re getting ready to leap out into the world and I am both terrified and so proud.



Happy Birthday Bailee!
ReplyDelete