Thursday, May 15, 2014

Special O Cheyenne

Bailee just completed her 3rd season with the Special Olympics Swim Team.  After two years in Cody, this year was a new experience with the Cheyenne team.  She had mixed feelings all season, but in the end she really enjoyed it and had some new opportunities. To kick off the games in Cheyenne, they hold a Torch Run.  It is held early in the morning on the first day of the State Meet, beginning at the Capitol and traveling several blocks through downtown.  Law enforcement escorts the athletes/volunteers while members of the Military run with them and sing Cadences. 
 Bailee was asked to run a leg, but ended up running the entire route...girls a rock star;)
 They looped around and ended up back at the Capitol where they rallied on the steps and were soon joined by our Governor.
 It was pretty neat that the girls got to meet and shake hands with Governor Matt Mead
Bailee then headed over to Laramie with her coach and other volunteers for the first day of swim events.  She had the opportunity to compete in the Unified Swim Relay [another first].  Basically, the team consists of 2 athletes and 2 volunteers.  We were originally told the event was the last one on Saturday, which is when I was going to be in Laramie.  On Friday, Bailee texts me to say they had to change it to that afternoon.  I was so bummed I didn't get to see it.  Her coach, was kind enough to get this pic for me of the Gold Medalists on the podium (they got 1st place) as well as a video...so awesome!!
Bailee stayed overnight in Laramie with her buddy Dani. I drove over early Saturday to spend the day with my girl and watch her do her thing. I ended up being a timer for Lane 5 the entire time.  I actually loved it!!  I got an up close and personal look at the sheer joy on their faces as they completed their race...gave me a whole new appreciation.  I also got to meet the nicest kid (22 year old) who was my timing partner.  Since I was a little tied up, I didn't get too many pics......although the trade off was worth it.  I did catch one of Bay and her coaching team.
Bay, Shannon, Erica, and Taylor
And I just had to get one with her and this sweet girl who is a student at UW now and came to help out for the weekend. Michaela was/is our neighbor in Cody and a dear friend.  She has been so good to Bailee since she was just a little one and a great role model.  I think seeing her and the Cody team made Bay super sad to not be working with them this year.....they missed her too:(
All in all it was another amazing experience for Bay.  This is her thing....She LOVES it.  I can see it as I watch her.....and my heart swells<3 Love this girl so much!!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat thing she has been able to participate in so many years. And very cool you got to meet the Governor.

    ReplyDelete