Emmrey has some mad reading skills. Early in the year her teacher approached us about having her join an after school group for accelerated readers. I was a little apprehensive at first. The last thing I wanted is for her to feel like because she is such a diligent student that she was going to be "rewarded" by having a longer school day. When we presented it to her we were very careful to make sure she felt like this was a great thing. We told her that her teacher (and parents) wanted to help her grow even more by having her join this special group for amazing readers. We talked about how it would be more like a Book Club than school. Well I had no need to worry....I forgot who I was dealing with. This girl LOVES school. So anything that has to do with learning, even if it means extra school time, she is all over it!! Emmrey enthusiastically attended "Reading Club" three days a week for an extra 45 minutes....and she loved every minute of it. This extended day was so good for her in more ways than one. They did all sorts of fun reading projects and her teacher really encouraged self directed learning. The little group finished up last week, and Emm was saying how she wished that it went to the last week of school:) I decided that these kiddos needed a little treat on their last day to celebrate their achievements. I made some cupcakes to take in and got to watch them perform their readers theaters....so fun!!
Here's the little reading crew.....
| Back to Front L to R- Sophie, Parker, Carson, Emm, Emilia, Mrs. Pacheco, Lillian, Aunika, Issie |
Emmrey with Mrs. Pacheco (the other 1st grade teacher). She was the just the right kind of teacher for this extended day program because she is sweet, and she made it fun for the kids. Emmrey absolutely loves her:)
What a great program. Good job reading worms!
ReplyDelete