Friday, May 4, 2012

Special O

Bailee has been volunteering with the Special Olympics swim team. This past weekend she attended the area meet in Riverton, and I was able to drive down and be there with her.  That meant an early morning.....we left Cody at 6:30!! Bailee rode the bus with the team, and I drove down myself {Karsyn had soccer in Billings, so as much as I hate splitting the fam up, we had to do it!!}  I don't know the last time I was on a long drive by myself.  The sun was coming up, the weather was nice {roads were clear} and I listened to a book all the way.  I have to admit it was extremely relaxing:}  We arrived in time for opening ceremonies.
I have been to many swim meets.  However, I have never experienced one quite like this.  The competitive spirit was absent and in its place a simple sense of accomplishment.  They had swimmers of all abilities and it was so neat to see them get out there and give it there best.  No matter the outcome, they emerged from the pool with such pride {and they were not too proud to show/tell you how many medals they had received}.  I couldn't help but admire the comradre and bonding among this special little community as they cheered one another on.  As I sat at the top of the bleachers, I was overcome with emotion as I watched the scene below.  I couldn't help but think about my own able bodied/minded little girls and all the things they will have the opportunity to do in life that many of the people I was looking at would not.  But at the same time, I saw the pure joy and happiness that exudes from so many of them, and I realized that they have fulfillment in their own unique way that those of us from the outside can't fully understand.  I wonder if they even realize they are any "different" than the rest of society?  I think we let the differences make us uncomfortable....whew...that was some serious rambling thoughts:}

                                    *********************************************


Bailee had so much fun with her team, and they all fell in love with her sweet personality.  Some more than others........This is Matt.  He LOVES Bailee because she has a bunny and he LOVES bunnies.  He is always asking her about her bunny and if he can come see it.....maybe some day Matt:}
This is Khari.  She wouldn't swim unless Bailee was with her.  At practices she wanted Bay at the end of her lane so she could cheer her on.  At the meet, she had to have Bailee walk her to her lane and get her in position.  Then Bailee would walk along the side of the pool as she swam.  When she was done, Bailee jumped in the water and helped her get out of the pool by going under the lane markers and over to the ladder.  Let me tell you, my mother heart swelled with pride as I watched my little girl and her friend:}
 
 I had to snap a picture of this as I watched from above.  Some of the boys here are a little "girl crazy" and they are not afraid to come right out and tell you they like you, or "want to see you at State so they can dance with you".  Of course it is all very innocent....but pretty cute.  These 2 young men from different teams were particularly fond of Bailee {never mind the age difference} and they just kept scooting closer and closer until she was sandwiched between them.  Bailee was such a great sport and just smiled and visited with them....with mom keeping a close eye on things;} 
Now if this was your average high school boy.....not so cute at all!!!
I will never forget this experience and I hope there are more in the future.  Bailee is already committed to next season!!  I am so grateful that she had the opportunity to be involved in such a worthy event.  Being with these special people all day can take its toll, but it is a true testament that we are ALL children of God.

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat, what a great learning experience for Bailey. She is such a cute girl I'm sure it won't be much longer before ALL the boys are flocking toward her. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete