Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Graduation x 2

With 2 graduations last week, there has been a lot of Pomp and Circumstance ringing around our house these days.....Emmrey graduated from Tiny Tots and sadly will be leaving it behind for good this time. The graduation celebration was held at the park again and although it seemed like it was going to be OK weather, things quickly changed as we all arrived.  It was pretty much a mad rush to get through all the kids and present them with their awards and "diplomas". 
Emmrey was recognized for.......
  1. Knowing all her colors and shapes
  2. Recognizing all of her numbers
  3. Recognizing and writing all 26 letters {both upper/lower case}
  4. Counting to 100
  5. Reading/recognizing 35 Sight words
  6. Turning in all monthly reading logs and homework books.    Whew!!!
 
As soon as the diplomas were handed out and each child was recognized the kids ran for the shelter as the wind picked up and the rain began to trickle down.  Emmrey sat with her friends for a very brief time as they nibbled on cake and other snacks.  Parents were hurrying their little Tots along and soon everyone was heading for their cars to escape the rain/wind that was blowing in.  It certainly wasn't the leisure play and visit at the park that it was intended to be... but what are you gonna do?? 

 

So we said farewell to the YELLOW SUNS and Miss Lori and with a little sadness in my heart that a chapter was ending, we headed home. {We made a quick stop at Micky D's for a Happy Meal to celebrate:}

The day after Emm's graduation, we headed for Casper for my graduation.  The university I received my degree from is in North Dakota.  However, they partnered with the colleges in Wyoming to allow students to take classes on campus, online and through summer courses which their professors came out to teach. The campus I took classes at is NWC in Powell.  The college in Casper is larger and had more students attending there, so that is where they held the ceremony.  Originally, I had not planned on doing the ceremony, just getting my diploma seemed enough.  But as time went on, I realized that walking in the ceremony is a "rite of passage" that I will likely never have the opportunity to do again.  While the ceremony itself seemed pretty insignificant in comparison to what I had actually achieved, I thought about how hard I had worked to get to this point and I didn't want to regret that I didn't give that accomplishment the recognition it deserved.  I also really wanted to set a good example to my girlies and hopefully show them by example, the importance of education.
The graduation ceremony was.....well...a graduation ceremony......long and tedious and felt a bit like I was back in High School {weird}, but it was my moment to walk across that stage and say "I DID IT......FINALLY".  The dean from VCSU flew in that day to be there to hand us our "diplomas", which was pretty cool.  My buddy Tiffany went down for the ceremony as well.  Since there was such a small elite group of us Wyoming residents doing this distance program together, we had the privilege of getting to be pretty close and share in each others joys {and miseries} as we took classes together.  Tiffany and I not only took classes together, but did our student teaching at the same time in the same school, just different grade levels.

My graduation was made extra special because my sweet parents drove all the way out to Casper to be there.  When I decided to do the ceremony, I remember thinking how nice it would be if we lived closer so they could be there.  I never actually expected anyone to make the long trip....but they did!!  This means more to me than they will probably ever know:}  So much of who I am today is because of my Mom & Dad
As I sit here now and think back on this long journey to get to where I am....I realize how much of it I owe to my Marko!  The second I decided to go back to school, he has been there supporting me every step of the way.  Whether it be helping me with endless amounts of school work { or entertaining the girls so I could have time to do it}, taking time off work to take care of the girls so I could spend weeks at summer workshops, or just listening when I rambled on about my frustrations and plans with the semester ahead.  He never for one minute made me feel guilty as I tried to juggle being a mom and being a student {no easy task}.  On the contrary, he he was my biggest motivator, constantly reminding me that what I was doing was worth it, that I was still the best mom ever....and that I needed to stick with it:}  He is always reminding me to go after my dreams...even though those dreams may change daily:}  I am truly lucky to have this guy by my side encouraging me in all that I do!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are both on your way to a new adventure, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete