Sunday, October 2, 2016

Centennial Village

A couple of days after we got back from Mesa Verde, Emmrey had a field trip to Centennial Village in Greeley. I was able to go along as a chaperone. This 8 acre living history museum was pretty amazing. Everyone (interpreters) is in costume and the kids got to step back in time and try out life as a pioneer through interactive experiences. The first place we went was this house from the early Spanish colony where this energetic little lady taught us all about life as a child on the plains and working in the fields. She made us a tortilla right there on the stove. It was so warm in that little house and the tortilla was so yummy!
 We also visited a Blacksmith who demonstrated making a nail which was sent with them to hang in the classroom. 
 We listened to a genuine Mountain Man
 The kids got to make corn husk dolls
 and play pioneer games on the lawn
 after the games we had a lesson in the old school house ... I especially liked that! Sometimes I think we could use a little more of that no-nonsense style in our classrooms today;)
 We had just a little time to visit some of the farm animals. The kids would have liked a lot more. The resident cows were Cinnamon and Tigger. I was monitoring two groups of kids on both sides of me so this was as close as I could get when Emm went to visit them. Just before the cow sighting we were learning all about the Metate and Mano and the kids got to practice grinding corn with them. Emmrey was so excited because we had just learned about this at Mesa Verde. 
One of the reasons I think field/road trips are so worthwhile!
I wish we would have got to go in that old house. Maybe another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment