Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bittersweet

Well it finally happened....the day that seemed so far away has come. Yesterday was my last day of Student Teaching. In August it seemed like a journey that would take forever, and now I can't believe it is already over. While I am thrilled that I MADE IT, I was sooooo incredibly sad to say goodbye to my 3rd graders. I have become so attached to these little buggers and I was amazed how quickly they became "my class". They threw me a little party to say goodbye. Cinnamon Rolls and juice were awaiting first thing in the morning and they gave me a gift basket packed full of all sorts of goodies for teaching. One of my students said "Wow Mrs. Smith, that should last you your whole career". So funny.....guess it is going to be a pretty short career.

They also made me a very special book with a letter or poem from each of the kiddos, which of course they wanted me to read right then and there. I was already emotional before I got to school that day, but this was a deal breaker....the tears were flowin'.


The best part of the basket was that they had created a "chain"of kind notes around the handle. What made this so special was that I had made a bulletin board about kindness and we had started a "chain reaction" around our classroom. This was such a thoughtful tribute to me!!

I had the best experience and I will miss seeing my roomful of 19 daily. Although I will still see them around the school when I am there (hopefully in their room subbing sometimes), it will not be quite the same:( They made me feel good about teaching!

I could not have done it without this lady!! Mrs. Hill.....my mentor teacher and my friend. I can't imagine doing this with anyone else.

So I say farewell to this experience and hello again to my family (yeah!), and look to the future with great hope!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the finish! Looks like it was a great class to teach, hope all of your classes are like that. Good luck Mrs. Smith!

    ReplyDelete