Monday, September 4, 2017

Letting her fly

*It's been a rough week. I started this post last Monday and haven't been able to come back to it until now .... 

We dropped Bay off at UW this morning (Aug 28th). It seems like everything you do as a parent is with this goal in mind. To one day have children who have grown into productive adults who can spread their wings and fly. Now all I want is to go backwards.

On the drive over to Laramie, all these little snippets of time raising Bailee were flashing through my mind and I wondered how it was possible that so many moments and years could feel like a blink of an eye.

I want her near me. I want her to be sleeping under our roof. I want to be there to fix things when they don't work out. I want to still be holding the hand of that little girl and teaching her all the things she needs to know to be safe and happy in this life.

I also want her to fly. I want her to have all those experiences that I didn't. I want her to become independent. I want her to learn to navigate a life that is her own. I want all these things and more for her ... even though it hurts. 


 Her home away from home will be in Downey Hall. 
 Move-In Day was nuts! Students and parents everywhere with a 
mix of excitement and trepidation at all the change ahead. 
 We got her checked into her room on the fourth floor. 

Met her roommate Katheryn, and her dad (who turns out have a G&F connection). She is from Cheyenne so Bailee had met her prior to move in day which was good. She seems like a nice girl.
 The rooms are tight (as dorm rooms are). They have the option of lofting the beds so they can utilize the space under them. Katheryn had moved in earlier and already lofted Bailee's bed for her. I am not sure how long this will last. Climbing up and down could get old pretty fast;)
 Once we had her room all set up for the most part, we went to find some lunch at the Black Kilt across from campus. We left her a little Brown & Gold as a surprise for later (and some pepper spray which I hope she never needs, but makes me feel slightly better)

 After lunch and a trip to Wally to pick up a few more items, we walked around campus for a bit
 I wish I could say that it was all smiles and happiness, but the truth is there was a lot tears and uneasiness. She didn't want us to go, but at the same time she knew she needed us to go:(
 We found a great little garden of Brown-eyed Susan, the inspiration behind the University colors.
 When we all knew our "see you later" couldn't/shouldn't be delayed any longer we gave our hugs and kisses and let the tears flow (that I had tried to contain all day).
 I know she will be okay. I know this is what she needs right now. I know it will be hard. I know that I will still be right there with her, just in a different way. 
I left a chunk of my heart in Laramie and it all happened way too fast!






No comments:

Post a Comment