Friday, October 9, 2015

La Luna Dairy

Last week, the entire 8th grade class went on a Field Trip to a local dairy. I was able to tag along. We walked about a mile to La Luna Dairy. It had been nearly 80 degrees all week and that morning a cold front blew in:((

 We all got suited up in our booties. Which I would have appreciated regardless. Due to the soft drizzle most of the day, we really would have been a mess without them!
 
 The kids were divided up into 6 groups of about 20. Our group was very well behaved. In fact, I was really quite impressed with most of the 8th grade:)
 We rotated around several stations and learned all sorts in interesting things about the pasteurization process, feed, cow health, milking, and even manure! While we were listening to the Feed Guy, one of the mamas was calving. We didn't get to witness it up close, but pretty cool that some of the kids were at least aware of this natural occurrence.

Cotton byproduct used in cow feed
 It was a very educational day at the dairy .. ..  and a little stinky too! I think it's good for people to see where their food comes from. Although after seeing it up close and personal, I kinda wanted to stop consuming dairy products ... .. except for ICE CREAM of course;)

1 comment: