The Saturday before we left Utah, we had Emmrey's 8th Birthday party at the Lion House. She had been anticipating this for a long time and was pretty excited.
There she was on the schedule...it was official
We waited in the parlor for everyone to arrive
The party room was all set up just for her
After getting situated in the party room, our hostess took us on a tour and told us all sorts of neat stories. Since Grandma Cheryl used to give parties at the Lion House herself back in the day, it is always fun for her to compare and each one of my girls parties have been a little different...which I like:)
Here she was telling us all about how they had to pump water and how difficult and sparse that could be so often they would all share the same bath water...the kids thought that was a little gross.
We played pioneer games like Button Button....
and we tried our hand at button humming...until someone got a little too zealous and broke the game (Dad)
When it was time to eat lunch, Emm got to ring the dinner bell just like Brigham Young did
She also got to try on this bib and wear it like he did to protect his beard from food
Then it was time for the old fashioned taffy pull. I think this is the kids favorite part. I know it's all I heard about after they devoured it....It really is the best!!
I don't know what it is, but the cake at the Lion House always tastes so good. I am not a huge cake lover, but I could eat my huge slice right up. Emmrey chose white cake despite Kars trying to convince her to go with chocolate:)
Kole was the finder of the gumball in his slice. The reward is a year of good luck....this should be good for the little guy.
We got to go back to the parlor to open presents which we hadn't done before.
Unlike her sisters, Emm doesn't have many cousins in her age group. Two of the cousins that are close to her age, live out of state like us. So her party was a little smaller and had a little more of an age gap. But that's just fine...its about having the experience and I know the ones who were there loved it. Half had been to Karsyn's and half had never been to a party there so that made it a special experience for them too.
| Kars, Natalia, Bode, Kole, Emm, Ashly |
Grandparents made up the other half of the guest list. We are so glad they got to be there with us. I hope they enjoyed it to.
The birthday child gets a special gift of either a Lion or a porcelain doll. I would have bet money that Emm would pick the doll [although it's not a doll to be played with]. Well she surprised me again and went right for the Lion. When I had my party I also picked the Lion [named him Leo]. I still have my lion although the ones they give now are a lot fancier.
| Emmrey and Stich |
My 8th birthday at the Lion House is such a special memory and I always wanted to give my girls that same experience. It is unlike any party you will ever have and I hope this will be a
memory that Emm will treasure.
Love this tradition, looks so fun. Would love to see a picture of you there on your birthday.
ReplyDelete