One of our Christmas traditions that we have had since Bailee was a toddler, is going to the woods to cut a Christmas Tree. The week after Thanksgiving, we did just that. Mark has been traveling a lot and so we figured this might be our only chance to get one before its too late {and by late I mean into December}. We headed up the Chief Joseph Highway towards Sunlight Basin to a spot we have been before. As we were driving, it began to lightly snow, and by the time we trekked out a bit, it was coming down pretty good. Funny story.. ...I was worried {of course} about getting stuck if we parked off the road too far. When we were ready to head home, what do you know, we were stuck.. ..or so we thought. We were burning some serious rubber, Mark was out digging around the tires, he even had me try to push while he gave it gas. ...."I KNEW IT", I murmured. But guess what? My super intelligent husband {no really he is} had failed to take off the emergency brake and we weren't stuck at all. So glad that nobody had driven by and stopped to help us in our time of distress:}
On to our tree process .. ...we brought the sleds so we could take advantage of the snow covered hills.
We spent quite a bit of time playing in the snow and had the best time.
Whew...we were pooped after sledding and had to take a little break before choosing our tree.
We had narrowed it down to a couple and Mark was getting consensus from the crew...
Once he had the OK, it was on to chopping.. ..or sawing
Yep...this was the one...a fine looking Spruce.
Then it was time to haul it back to the car....over the river and through the woods:}
Getting it good and secured on top.....
Mmmm.....some much needed Hot Cocoa and donuts really hit the spot, right there in the snow!!
We made it home safe and sound and after a few days of letting the tree dry off in the garage, it was time to decorate. The girls LOVE pulling out all the ornaments and reminiscing....and I always get a little teary as I think back on all those sweet memories.
We have one of those trees that isn't perfect in shape and doesn't completely coordinate {although I do have some things that tie it together}, but it is so beautiful to me because it is filled with memories and keepsakes that we will cherish forever. I hope we always continue this tradition:}
Looks like a great tradition. We tried chopping our own once...looks like you have much prettier trees than us! Love the story of being stuck, that made me laugh.
ReplyDelete