Saturday, June 1, 2019

Chick Business {a post by Emmrey}

This year I decided to take up the chick business again. This year it was very last minute on the day I  got them. With a limited selection of pullets at our local hardware store, we didn't really have a choice but to get the Red Reproduction Pullets, but I am so glad I did. I got three little fluffy chicks that were just cute as can be!
I decided to name them after famous women that have inspired me to be a better person.
Ruby, after Ruby Bridges.
Amelia(aka Amelia Egghart) as in Amelia Earhart, one of my favorite role-models,
And Billie, after Billie Jean King, the tennis player.
When they were finally big enough to come outside, at least for a little bit, we all could spend endless hours out side watching the chicks.
As Easter was approaching, I was so excited to have a photo shoot with Stewy and the Chicks, the perfect Easter animals.
 I had done this previous years ago, but I feel that this photo shoot turned out way better than the last one.

I was able to get such cute pictures of them individually, and all together, This was Stewy and the Chicks first time meeting and interacting with each other, I would say it went pretty great, and they all immediately became best friends:)

They grew SO fast, and I loved every minute of it!
It was not too long before it was already time to do their 1 Month old photos, at least one month since we had gotten them.
Lucky for us, all of the flowers were beginning to bloom which made the pictures even better!
I can't believe how fast these little girls grew up! Before we knew it it was June 1st and time to send them off to the egg laying farm! We had hoped to keep them a little while longer but these girls grew way faster than my last chicks! It was hard letting these girls go but they needed to have space to run around and be free. (Also, our neighborhood has a pretty pathetic rule about chickens in my opinion)
We had a family friend that was very generous with our last minute plan, and gladly took my girls in at her farm with her other 2 month old chicks.
I had my last goodbye picture with at least one of the girls, the others were already off making their new friends at their new temporary home!
I am sad that the time went by so fast but I am so happy that I got to have this time with them. I enjoyed every minute of it (well maybe not the poop part of the job:) I had a great time taking care of these girls, and just can't wait to do it all over again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment