For two decades now I have tried to figure out this mothering thing and for two decades I have made mistakes and fumbled my way through. Luckily, I have this amazing little bug who has been forgiving and patient and has taught me the meaning of loving another more than yourself.
It doesn't seem like that long ago that it was just the two of us ...partners in crime .... spending every minute together.
Now she is developing a life that is separate from me. It's how it should be, but it hurts sometimes.
Although the themed birthdays have gone by the wayside, we tried to eek in a little celebration with the couple of hours we had with our girl (she worked a 10 hour day). I had a quick breakfast ready for her before she left for the pool. .. a muffin and green smoothie.
Emm doesn't miss an opportunity to decorate. She did a splendid job on Bay's door.
Bailee's request for [a late] dinner was Taquitos and homemade pico.
She is such a simple girl with very few "wants". She asked for a new visor to keep the sun off her at the pool.
She also really wanted a fanny pack. This isn't the one she ended up keeping. I had ordered two for her to choose from and the other one came after her birthday.
Kars got her Exploding Kittens ... a game they played with cousins and LOVED!
Emmrey got her some more essential oils for her Diffuser.
She also got a few toiletries and some cash$$, so she can get something when she actually wants/needs it. She didn't want a cake or a treat for that matter. I felt like we had to have something so we settled on Banana Splits:)
It is a recurring sentiment that I ache for the days she was little, but at the same time, watching her develop into this beautiful adult with her own thoughts and ideas, is a true gift. Having conversations and listening to her express her opinions and views on the world makes me proud. She is dedicated, has strong convictions and is filled with genuine kindness in all she does.
I have plenty of regrets as a momma and often wish I could start over raising her because I think I could do much better with the wisdom I've gained. Then again, I have to believe that she is the person she is partly because of the experiences [and mistakes] we have made on this journey together ... and I wouldn't trade that for anything.










No comments:
Post a Comment