Saturday, December 22, 2018

Puck will still come

So this year was a big one at our house ... in terms of Christmas. Emmrey joined the "team" and we no longer have believers at our house. At least not in the same sense that we used to. I really dislike this "milestone" and if it was possible, I would have my girls believe forever. Of course if it were up to me they would also stay 3, 7 and 10 forever too. With each of our girls they would get to about the age of ten or eleven and it seemed like they just stopped asking questions about the reality of Christmas. It's like they knew or suspected and didn't really need or want that confirmation. On our end we're suspecting that maybe they are figuring it out, but we really want to hold onto the magic ... even for just another year. We felt it was time to let Emm know. So I begrudgingly sat down with her and gave her the same letter I did for her sisters with a little ornament. If memory serves, Bay felt a little excited to be part of this "grown up team". No tears... only from me. Kars was indifferent and informed me that she kinda already had it figured out {I guess she was just waiting for me to come around}, and Emm flat out cried. Basically she "thought that it might be true, but really didn't want to know". I felt awful. It's like I had just robbed my kid of her innocence. Holding onto that hope of things you really want to believe and then having it pulled out from under you can be crushing ... I remember it was for me. After she had some time to process it all, her first question was whether Puck would still come. Childhood goes too quickly. Kids grow up too fast. I will let it linger for as long as I can. So Puck will continue to come and spread his little bit of joy and magic for as long as someone is still looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment