At the end of swim season (way back in February) we attended a banquet. To be honest, it was on one of those weeks that we seemed to be back and forth to Fort Collins more than I care for and to top it off the weather wasn't great. I debated about whether to just convince Bailee to bag it and stay home, but ultimately decided it was important enough to her that we should attend. As we were making our 25 min drive to the school it began to snow pretty good and I questioned my decision. Mark was already in FoCo for an AFS meeting so he was just going to try and meet us at the school for a short while. The night was laid out with dinner, a slideshow and then the head coach planned to recognize/spotlight each girl. Mark had to get back to his meeting and left right after dinner was served. I was so so bummed (after the fact) that he had to go right then because before they started the slideshow, the coach turned some time over to a special guest from CHAMP (CHaracter in Athletics Make it a Priority). This nonprofit organization focuses its efforts on promoting positive character as an integral component of student-athletes’ success, both on the athletic field and in life. Each month they select one MS or HS athlete from the Fort Collins area who has been nominated by their coach for exemplifying outstanding character in the athletic world. Well lo and behold, she got up and announced the recipient of this award was our girl!! None of us had any idea and Bailee had to be shaken out of her state of shock. I actually had to tell her that she needed to go up front as they stood there waiting for her;)
I was so beyond proud as I watched my baby with tears in my eyes and attempted to get a decent photo :/
Here is the write up they did on her including what her coach said in his nomination:
Congrats!!
February High School CAM for 2015: Bailee Smith
1.Age: 15
2.Sport: Swimming
3.School: Poudre High School
4.Parents: Kim and Mark Smith
5.Siblings/Age: Karsyn 12 and Emmrey 8
6.Interests/Hobbies/Activities: Hiking, Camping, anything outdoors, reading, photography
7.Favorite Athlete they admire: Khari Stocchetti . She is a special Olympic swimmer and she inspires me to keep doing what I love ESPECIALLY when the times get rough.
8. Quote from Coach Rob Breshears- Bailee Smith leads by example. Although she is more quiet than some of her teammates, she speaks loudly with her work ethic, attitude, and constant smile. As a new student to Poudre this year, Bailee joined the team and her contributions were instantly felt. Bailee often swims events that other athletes dread and she does it with a smile because she wants to help her team. She has consistently stepped up when her team needed her and always chooses to do it with a smile. Bailee motivates and encourages her teammates and competitors alike with quiet can-do attitude. She makes everyone around her better. I am proud to nominate Bailee Smith as a very deserving Character Athlete of the Month.
2.Sport: Swimming
3.School: Poudre High School
4.Parents: Kim and Mark Smith
5.Siblings/Age: Karsyn 12 and Emmrey 8
6.Interests/Hobbies/Activities: Hiking, Camping, anything outdoors, reading, photography
7.Favorite Athlete they admire: Khari Stocchetti . She is a special Olympic swimmer and she inspires me to keep doing what I love ESPECIALLY when the times get rough.
8. Quote from Coach Rob Breshears- Bailee Smith leads by example. Although she is more quiet than some of her teammates, she speaks loudly with her work ethic, attitude, and constant smile. As a new student to Poudre this year, Bailee joined the team and her contributions were instantly felt. Bailee often swims events that other athletes dread and she does it with a smile because she wants to help her team. She has consistently stepped up when her team needed her and always chooses to do it with a smile. Bailee motivates and encourages her teammates and competitors alike with quiet can-do attitude. She makes everyone around her better. I am proud to nominate Bailee Smith as a very deserving Character Athlete of the Month.
| Bay with her coaches Kristen Moss and Rob Breshears |
When her coach recognized the girls he told a little something about them that had stood out to him and he gave them each a "nickname" of sorts. He shared how on the first practice Bailee had missed her ride from the school to the pool (story for another time) and how when she showed up having missed over half the practice she came, suited up and tried to make up for what she had missed. Here he was feeling terrible about the miscommunication error and she comes in and apologizes for being late. He said he really admired that about her and it showed her dedication to her team. He also couldn't help but notice that huge smile of hers. He gave her the nickname of "Sweet 16"". At one meet she took off 16 seconds in her 500 (pretty huge deal). At the next meet half joking he said, "I want to see you take off 16 seconds again" .. .. .. and she did!
| ecstatic about taking off time in her 500 |
A few of my favorite photos in the slideshow
| Backstroke in lane 3 |
![]() |
| Team photos unfortunately before all the team suits arrived |
| maybe one of my all time favorites |
I am so grateful that I didn't give in to my weakness about driving over to the school that night. I would have never forgiven myself and I would have missed out on the opportunity to see this amazing girl be recognized for the CHAMP that she truly is:)


No comments:
Post a Comment