Monday, January 14, 2013

{Look Who's ....40}

I can hardly believe it myself....but Mark turned 40 on Jan 8th.  I remember when I was in my 20's, I couldn't even imagine being 40.... amazing what a little perspective/maturity can do.
 He's come a long way  in 40 years .... ... ..
  Mark really dislikes the time of year he was born.  For a guy who loves to get outside, celebrating in the dead of winter can be a real bummer.  We wanted to make the day special, but new we had our limits.  A big surprise party is not really Mark's style {unless we had family nearby}, and he was very busy with a work project,and traveling so time was a factor as well.  We celebrated over the course of 2 days. We decided to spend Monday in Billings since it was the last day the girls had off before heading back to school. 
We took him to lunch at Cafe Rio {his FAVORITE}....
Mark wanted to make sure the girls all got to go to one place of their choice to spend some Christmas money {I know...always putting others first}.  We eventually got him to Cabela's where the girls had planned to give him a challenge.  He had 40 minutes to spend 40 dollars.  Seems easy enough...but it wasn't.  He found things he really wanted, but it put him over budget. And Mark doesn't just buy for the sake of buying, so that was another obstacle. 
While he shopped, we watched the fish.  Or did they watch us???
 He did finally complete the challenge with 12 minutes to spare.  This is what he came out with....{@ 39.99}
Bailee insisted we take him to Cold Stone for ice cream before calling it a day {the family was getting annoyed with me taking pictures everywhere = no picture:}  On his real birthday, Mark was up to his eyeballs in budget stuff, so he worked all day.  When he got home we did a little more celebrating!! 
 He was greeted with a "40 Fish Birthday Wish".  
 
He thought this was great and loved going through all the pictures and telling us where they were taken 
{I think he remembered every one;}
 His dinner choice was Bubba's....
When we got back home we gave him a few gifts.  A tower made with 40 cans of Coke Zero
Emmrey gave him a 40 minute massage and made him a little mailbox {Mark loved this side}
All of Emm's kids signed this card "From Grandkids". 
Did you know Mark was a Grampa at 40??
He also got this new Switch Rod so he can go Steelhead fishing this Spring {which came a day later;}
 But I think it is safe to say that the gift he will cherish most was this little black book.  It was filled with "40 Things We Love About Him", "40 Things to do in the Next 40 Years", and personal messages/memories .. .. all compiled by loving family members.  I knew he would like it, but his reaction was completely unexpected.  Yes...he laughed, but he also ....hmmm...got a little emotional.  Let's just say that we saw a side of him I have only seen a handful of times, and the girls don't ever recall seeing:}  It was very sweet that it meant so much to him.  
The back of the book had a disc with pictures of his 40 years and personal Birthday greetings from distant family.  He was sooo surprised and LOVED the messages. {Look at that cute little guy in his plaid pants. I'm pretty sure this photo was taken after he had a little "accident" by the river;}
I thought he deserved a proper Carrot Cake this year.  This is his favorite and many years I have tried  to make one from scratch {mom's recipe}without success.  I decided to order one from a little family bakery here in Cody.  He thought it was tasty, but not quite as yummy as his mom's.  She must have the magic touch.
{maybe she can make him one next year;}  
I think know he had a Fantastic 40th!!  A big thank you to those who contributed to making it one he will always remember:}

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a fantastic birthday! I always wondered why that pan tasted like butt...just kidding(but seriously I think Mom still uses that pan). Love you Bro.

    ReplyDelete