Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hello School.. .. and Birthday

Well it happened.  Summer once again flew by and I am wondering where the time went.  Our girls started back to school today....  Bailee as an 8th grader
Karsyn as a 5th grader.. ..
and Emmrey as a Kindergartener.. ..NO WAY!!
Some say it gets easier to send each child to school.  I disagree....I have been equally sad with each of my girls.  For me it is more about leaving that phase of life than just missing them {although I do plenty of that too}.  
Emm was pretty excited to go to school, which makes it less heart wrenching.  {I remember the days with Bailee who was literally clinging to my leg sometimes and it killed me}. She has Mrs. Kleersnyder as a teacher.  I worked with her doing Practicum hours her first year of teaching {5 years ago} and love her.  So I feel good knowing she will take care of Emm.  At Meet the Teacher Night she asked the kids to decorate this little guy to look like them and bring it the first day of school.  I loved how Emmrey did her entire name...including nickname:}
Karsy and I spent some time getting her settled in and I thought I was okay until it was time to actually leave her...the eyes started burning and filling up and I knew I needed to make a speedy exit so I didn't give her reason to worry. 
  I headed straight for the cafeteria where they host a Boo Hoo Breakfast for Kindergarten parents.  Oh it helped a bit to chat with other parents, but I am surprised how many shared the sentiment of  "Woo Hoo Kindergarten.....finally".  I guess I am weird like that ...I really enjoy my girls and like when they are home {that isn't to say we don't have our moments when I think I might send them off to camp somewhere:}  We have all day Kindergarten here.  I was so worried that by afternoon, Emmrey would decide she'd had enough and want her Mommy.  She didn't.  She said "I'm surprised Mom, it didn't even feel like 7 hours" {and yes, she does talk like that}.  I am so glad she will have her big sis at the school to look out for her.
After picking the girls up...we enjoyed some warm from the oven chocolate chip cookies {most delicious recipe} and milk and I got to hear all about their first day.   I am so glad we had that time to just sit with each other and not be rushing off to one activity or another.  That will come soon enough.  I loved catching glimpses of their personalities as I listened to all their stories.  Emmrey was very excited to tell me that they read The Kissing Hand, which I had read to them last night before bed.  Such a sweet story.. ...
 Later we had our traditional Back to School Dinner.  Mark is in Minnesota so it was just the four of us.
I decided to do Chili Cheese buns, since it is something the girls all like.  I brought this simple dish into our marriage as something my mom made for us as kids.  Somehow they have become a bit of a tradition when Mark is out of town:}  They are so simple and I don't really know if you can call them a "dish", but my girls think they are pretty divine.  
We ate, talked more about school and drew on our table paper {which will be a welcome home sign for dad}... we are missing him*
 I made these little goodies to put at the girls place settings.   The post it note stands with wise owl messages on them.  They loved the pencils and were very curious about what was inside:}


I think the first day was a success around here.  Let's hope that the entire year continues with this pattern!!

***********
So aside from it being the first day of school.. ...it was also my birthday!  The girls all told me Happy Birthday this morning, but my focus today was on getting the girls ready for school, settled at school .. ...basically SCHOOL!!  After leaving them all at school, I walked into a very quiet, empty house and suddenly felt a little lonely... ..it was a strange feeling!!  I had plenty to do and used my free time to make some little things for our dinner and cookie dough.  As I walked through the house cleaning up and putting things away, I kept finding these little cards with messages that Bay had left.  Although she may be rolling her eyes or shaking her head at me.. ..she is truly the most thoughtful little girl.  It was just what I needed to brighten my afternoon*
Kars had also put together a little something for me.  Some lotion from her room-ha:} and a little coupon book she made. I love that it "expires when all are used".  I will definitely be taking her up on some of those massages:}
 
 Emm made me a note at school...
I {heart} you Mom
It was a good day
See you at home
Emmrey
We are going to officially celebrate when Mark gets back in town on Friday.  In the meantime ..I have 3 little sweeties who try to pick up the pieces while Daddy is away.  I love those girls!!
Thank you to our Moms & Dads for birthday money and for all the birthday wishes from family and friends!

1 comment:

  1. Back to school is sad, I agree about being sad about leaving the last phase of them being "that age". Love you got to go to a Boo Hoo breakfast on your Birthday, what a way to celebrate. Oh and thanks for letting me steal your back to school dinner idea...I knew I saw it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete