Saturday, September 14, 2019

Teen x 3

There have been so many things that I have been less than stellar about lately. I think everyone is okay with the ball being dropped a little through this transition .... everyone but me. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to expectations.

By my standards, I totally failed Emm on her birthday. By the average persons standards ... it was just what a birthday is supposed to be. I am trying to find my way to acceptance of a "less theme- more pure" way of celebrating.

Honestly, I am trying to find my way to acceptance of a lot of things these days .... the biggest one might be that these girls of mine ARE GOING TO GROW UP! Yeah ... yeah ... I know that is what is supposed to happen. It's part of deal ... I get it.

But it hurts so much sometimes. We have officially become a house with no children under the teen years. Third time around and I still somehow think we will escape the traits that rear their ugly head during the tween years. We haven't. It manifests itself slightly differently in each of the girls. They are individuals I suppose. I am learning to come to accept this too. Trying not to take it personal. 
 And the truth is, underneath the sometimes unrecognizable attitude is the same heart and soul that lights up my life.
Her first day as a teen started with a breakfast in bed of a green smoothie, and toast with Grandma Shirley's raspberry jam.
 Then it was off to school. She got home before me, and I found her settling in quite nicely to the teen life. Candy from her friend and a device in her hand = bliss!
Her dinner request this year was crepes. After dinner it was time to open gifts. Some of the things under the wrapping paper .... 4ocean bracelet, scrunchies, a leaf canopy for her Betta, a "smart" watch (which turned out to be a dud), $$ from Gpa & Gma Smith, and Bears vs Babies from Gpa & Gma Fortie.
We spent the evening trying to get that watch to work (found out real soon it was a foolish purchase). 
Bailee and Karsyn got her an excellent gift of cake pop maker complete with mixes and frosting. Emm would have used those that night if it hadn't been so late. 
That's Bay there in spirit to the left of Kars
We finished out the night with ice cream and a really bad cake from our local market. A chocolate mint concoction gone wrong.
Luckily, this girl appreciates the simple in celebrating. She thought the cake was fine and kept a smile on her face with every bite. 
We hit the lottery with our little Alise. I hope her transformation into her teen years is as lovely as she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment