Sunday, January 28, 2018

#24

Mark and I celebrated 24 years of marriage on the 15th. Bailee was still home from school and so we decided to arrange an overnight stay in Estes Park to celebrate. This was the first time ever that we left the three girls home alone for the night (without another adult). I know Bailee is very responsible and they are all pretty capable young ladies, but it was still nerve racking. We left mid day Sunday. We stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies again. Doesn't scream "romance" but we knew what to expect; nice facilities, clean and quiet. It was quiet all right. 
We were almost the only ones in our building!
the grounds/buildings were all still lit up with lights
After getting settled, we went into town and walked around before finding dinner. 
 I don't know if it was due to being Sunday or the time of year, but things were pretty quiet in general around Estes. When the first Mexican restaurant we sought out was already closed, we stumbled upon Casa Grande and were excited about our window seat with a view of the Riverwalk
 The food was your typical Mexican restaurant flavor (heavy and a bit greasy). We don't go that route very often (although we like it) and quickly remembered why:/ Our server was super nice, but a terrible server! Not sure we will rush back there.
 We went back to our empty lodge and put our feet up by the fire.
 When we got up Monday morning it was snowing. By the time we finished breakfast it was picking up and I was worried about driving home. Mark insisted it would be fine and so we decided to take our hike as originally planned. 
While getting our gear together, I realized I had forgot my hiking shoes!! I had a choice of my booties or snow boots. I chose the latter. Because my footwear was less than ideal we decided a somewhat flat hike would be best. 
 We hiked around the Deer Mountain trail for a few hours.
 It really started coming down while we were out there. 
Although it was a bit frosty, it sure was beautiful.
We love hiking with our girls, but there is something so relaxing when it's just the two of us. 
We get to talk about whatever we want;)
We headed down the mountain for home and were treated to this scene of Elk out in the flurries.
 It's so crazy to think we have been married for 24 years. I'm so glad we have each other. 
It's been quite a journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment