For our last date in 2016, Mark and I decided to take a hike. We headed to Estes Park/RMNP for a 3.5 mile hike to Gem Lake.
The weather was clear and sunny and other than it being a little on the windy side, it was pretty ideal for December.
Still smiling about half way to our destination
I was excited to try out my new gaiters and crampons. Initially the trail was so dry I didn't think I really needed them.
There were definitely spots that had been protected from the sun.
As we neared the top we found this interesting rock. Looked like a foot to me {with a hole in it}.
Coincidentally, the hole peeked right through to part of a tree making for a pretty cool image.
When we reached the top we were a little disappointed in the lake. Not much of a "Gem" in the winter. It was all dried up and what little was left was frozen, but it was a nice setting.
We enjoyed a snack and the fishy smell for a while
Heading down was a bit tricky/icy in spots and I was glad I had those crampons ... they worked real good;) Mark had forgotten his and so I offered to lead in case I needed to break his fall ... HA!
It was so nice to experience a Colorado trail without other hikers right in front or behind you. Doesn't happen in the summer months. Surprisingly it was not so quiet in Estes Park. We stopped in at Peppers for some lunch and Laura's for a Caramel Apple. The streets were quite full of people celebrating the Holiday. I always enjoy a trip to Estes Park and especially love spending the day with my Marko:)
No comments:
Post a Comment