Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ahhh...Yellowstone

The morning of the 4th, we were on our way to Yellowstone.  This has become a tradition for us the past few years.  It's a busy week in the park, but oh so fun!! We know from experience that if you don't book lodging early...you don't get any.  Since our move had us a bit disoriented, we failed to make a reservation early enough and could not find a thing in the park:(   We found a room in West Yellowstone and it turned out to be just as much fun as staying in the park....different ...but fun!!  We found a perfect spot by the lake to get a Fourth of July family photo:}
 We headed to Old Faithful and got there 15 minutes prior to the expected eruption....just enough time to walk around the awesome Visitor Center:)
 We then walked and walked around the entire Geyser Hill Loop.  It was HOT that day and there was threat of some whining among our group.  So....Mark did what any good Dad would do.  He offered ice cream for all those who made it all the way around without any complaining!!
 I am happy to say we ALL were rewarded with yummy ice cream (although it was pretty close with one some;)
We spent all day in the park and then headed back to West Yellowstone for dinner and fireworks at the city park.  I love those small town celebrations.  I have yet to master getting a good pic of fireworks (even worse with my phone).....but they were pretty darn good.  I was so proud of Karsy, she sat through the entire show this year and didn't so much as whimper.  I think that was a first!!
We got an early start the next morning and headed back into the park...with a "few" fellow travelers.
This time our destination was Mary Mountain.  Mark likes to pick the "back country trails" where few have traveled.  I prefer to stay on trails where there is more activity .....and thus less chance of a bear encounter.  Although it is a well known trail, we set out from the trail head with not another soul or vehicle in sight.
We came across all sorts of little geysers popping up all over.
 We also explored a part of the trail that appeared to be some sort of abandoned quarry.
Emmrey wanted a challenge of naming some of the trees and flowers we saw.  When she became frustrated because she didn't know any of them by name, Mark suggested she use the bird guide from Karsyn's Camelbak to try and spot some birds.  She looked like this nearly all the way back:)
 Now, the "bear signs" are posted everywhere in Yellowstone and this trail head was no different.  Mark always has to give me a little reassurance ...we had our bear spray...we made plenty of noise....but when we came across this fresh bear scat.......I was pretty much done.  Mark suggested that we see what it had been eating, so Kars got right to work breaking it up.  Gross...I know...but at least she used a stick/rock:)  We never saw a bear, nor have we ever run into one on a trail in Yellowstone (we did see one moving along a very crowded boardwalk once), but still it made me nervous.  I LOVE to see them from a safe distance, I just don't want to run into one out in the forest.
 After our hike we were hungry, so we made our way to our favorite picnic spot (Nez Perce)
 It was another hot afternoon...perfect for a dip in the Firehole River.   This popular swimming hole is warmed by the runoff from hot springs and geysers.
 
I am not sure it was as warm as the Boiling River in Mammoth where we usually go, but it seemed to hit the spot and the setting was gorgeous!!
 Bailee went up a little farther to where you can jump in and let the current carry you down the river.
 As we were leaving, we realized you could go up even farther....maybe next time??
As we were swimming, a dark cloud was making its way across the sky.  We left just in time for a crazy rain storm to hit.  We headed back to West Yellowstone to get dinner and walk around.  It continued to pour and we got trapped in stores waiting for it to let up enough to walk around some more.  The silver lining was that when it finally cleared up, we had view of a couple of beautiful rainbows. 
 
 We had such a great trip and were tempted to extend it "just one more day".  I just love this place and we decided we need to get a second home somewhere in the area so we can visit Yellowstone often....ahhh... maybe when were rich;)  They have these painted trash receptacles all over town.  This one was the coolest ...of course!!
On our way out of the park our last day, these two decided they wanted to direct passing tourists to some wildlife viewing ahead.  I thought a Grizzly Bear might be more plausible, but they opted for the Mountain Lion.  I wonder how many car loads were frantically searching after they saw this little sign hanging out our window;)...silly girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment