Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fighting Hunger

The 5th graders recently joined with King Arthur Flour in a campaign to fight hunger.  Representatives from the company came to the school and showed the kids how to make bread.  They were then given some flour and recipes to take home (to make bread with).  The idea is that they make a bread item for their family and then another to donate to a local charity that helps with food donations.  Karsyn of course wanted to make her bread with her best buddy... Now I am NOT a bread maker.  I enjoy eating it, but I am no expert on making it:)  We spent a Friday afternoon(and evening) turning the kitchen upside down with flour:)
 They both wanted to make cinnamon rolls to give to their families.  I really just supervised and guided when needed, but for the most part these 2 took the reigns and this was the result of their hard work:) 
 These were the loaves they took to school to donate.  For them it was more about spending time together than learning anything...which was a good thing, because I don't have a lot of wisdom to impart in this area.  I learned that I definitely could use some lessons myself.  Although I don't know how often I would make homemade bread...it takes a looong time.  Grandma Shirley would be proud (of Kars, not me)

No comments:

Post a Comment