Monday, March 18, 2013

Adventures in Music!

The 4th and 5th graders were invited to Adventures in Music in Billings.  This was an event put on by the Billings Symphony to promote music.  Our music teacher at Sunset was so enthusiastic about it and made all the arrangements for the kids to get there. Karsyn was less enthusiastic about giving up her Saturday ...but I told her I would volunteer to chaperone and we could do it together.  We loaded the bus bright and early for the 1 1/2 hour drive..... We arrived in Downtown Billings where the kids were able to try out all the various instrument families through round-robin sessions.  They were a little leery to try out the brass family...even though they sanitized them before/after each use...I can't say I blame them!
Karsyn liked the violin the best...specifically the itty bitty one:)
We rotated through The Alberta Bair Theater, MSU Downtown campus, as well as the Babcock Theater (which is where Mark and I had gone to the Fly Fishing Film Festival)...it's a pretty neat building. I chaperoned Karsyn, Mason and Emily.  Mason had just had surgery on his leg and was given strict orders to stay in his chair as much as possible.  This is harder than you'd think for a 11 year old kid who just wants to be like everyone else.  I did honor his dad's instructions and as good mannered as this kid is, I think he was pretty fed up with me by the days end...although you'd never know it:)

In this Theater the kids also got to take a picture with "Queen Elizabeth" the Royal guest of honor.
After trying out the instruments, we wandered for a quick bit through the street fair.  We picked up some Kettle Corn before settling in for the St. Patty's parade.
After the parade we got to be the audience for the Billings Symphony dress rehearsal.  I found it more entertaining than the kiddos...although Karsyn talked about it quite a bit afterwards.  I think a large part of that was they were sooo hungry for lunch.  Our last stop was at a park for lunch and play.  Although we did more "observing" than "playing" under the circumstances.  I did let up slightly and allowed Mason to use his crutches to get to our picnic spot.  He sooo wanted to climb this tree with Karsyn...I had to put a stop to that pronto!!
 It was a long day, but really a good time.  I was just loving spending the day with my little Beans (although truth be told....she was likely happier about spending the day with a certain someone other than her dear old Mom ...it's okay, I know she loves me:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment