Thursday, November 8, 2012

You win some .. ..you lose some

Tuesday was Election Day.. ... ..hope everyone had a chance to VOTE:}  I had to work that day, so I went after school.  Bailee and Emmrey had other activities so I just had Karsyn.  It was so neat to get to take her along and show her how it all works.  They have all been to the polls before, but they were little tikes and probably don't remember.  We have been having lots of discussions about voting and the candidates and I have been impressed with Kars and how much she has learned about the process.  I have also been impressed with our girls ability to weed out some of the nonsense they hear around them. 
 
There was also an important local election going on at Sunset.  Karsyn was elected as a Student Council Representative again this year.  After her term as Treasurer last year, she decided to run for Secretary.  Once again, she took it on without any reservations.  She went to town on her poster:} And she wrote her speech entirely by herself .. ..  today they gave the speeches in front of the school.  She did such a good job but when the votes were counted, she lost by a small margin:{   I was so proud of her for not being afraid to try and for having the courage to get up in front of the school and give a speech.  
Our little candidate....{sorry for the out of focus pic.}
{Karsyn's handwritten speech.  LOVE that she included jokes in it again this year...so like her}

The girls and I made a night of it and ate dinner in front of the TV {Mark was in Utah}.  There was a sense of excitement as we watched the results start coming in.  I let them stay up late, but they finally crashed before President Obama was declared the winner.  Unlike so many, this news does not make me feel sick or like the world is coming to an end.  I choose to look ahead with hope and a positive attitude:}  What I don't look forward to is all the NEGATIVITY that will be sprinkled in daily conversations and plastered on bumper stickers.  I have never seen anything like it.....pretty terrible if you ask me.

1 comment: