Both Karsyn and Emmrey had Poetry Celebrations in the last weeks of school. They had been writing poetry in class and this was their way of sharing it with parents and other classes. The kids got to choose one of their poems to read for the celebration. Emmrey read hers and also read one with her little buddy Emilia, who was afraid to do it by herself:)
The one she chose is titled Pickles...so cute
After all the kids had read for the parents, they spread around the gym to share the rest of their poetry books with parents. We had her classmate, Mylee join us since she did not have a parent that could attend. It was so fun to listen to them read all their cute poems. They were so so proud of their work!!
Of course the best part for the 1st graders, was the snacks that were served after.
| Emmrey and Emilia |
The following week was the 6th grades turn. This time the kids could read more than one poem if they wanted. I was not a bit surprised that Kars only read one....she does not like being on display in front of a crowd. When she told us that her poem was about "a fat lad", I was a little anxious inside. We have tried raise our girls to be sensitive to differences in bodies and I was worried that our sweet girl was going to read a poem that poked fun at someone that was "larger". Well....I had no need to worry. It was a catchy little Limerick that was not mean in nature (at least I don't think so)
This was the extent of sharing of their poetry books. They were lined up along the back table for parents to browse through for a few minutes. Unlike Emm, Kars was not all that excited about us looking through hers. I also couldn't help but notice the difference between the book presentation of 1st grade and 6th grade (or maybe it has more to do with the teachers). This was the cover for Karsyn's book (no frills here;)
We had a hard time getting a close enough shot of her during her reading, so we grabbed her after for a quick pic (which she was thrilled about). Her classmate Nick (on far left) is a hoot! He wears that tux every time they have a special program at school...love it.
It was so fun listening to my little Poets and hearing their personality come out through their poems...that's what is so great about Poetry.

What a fun night! I love the limerick! Ha.
ReplyDelete