Our girls started school last Tuesday. We got home from our trip to the Redwoods late Sunday, which gave them only 1 day to get geared up for a new year. Starting a new school year can be stressful enough, but add to that a new town + new schools and you've got a recipe for some very anxious little ladies (and parents). I was a little unsure about our timing with the road trip the week before, but it turned out to be just what we all needed to keep our minds off the inevitable. The night before school started our nerves were definitely getting the best of us...it's scary to step out of your comfort zone!! Lunches were packed with notes of encouragement for good measure:)
In addition to starting High School at a brand new school + brand new town (did I mention that already?), Bay started practicing with a brand new swim team. They have a pretty grueling practice schedule which begins at 6 am. So first day of school or not, she and I were up at 5:00 am to get her there on time. She was pretty bummed that she had to go to her first class with wet hair....but that is the life of a swimmer I guess. Luckily she is not super high maintenance when it comes to that kind of stuff:) Can't believe I have a Freshman already.....I'm totally in denial!!
| Bailee- Freshman |
Bailee will be a Central Indian and will be navigating all new territory. They run on an A, B, C day schedule...so it can get a little confusing [especially that C day...right Bay;) She is taking a pretty heavy load in addition to swim team and choir. She has Algebra 2, Honors English, Biology, Spanish, US History and Health. Right now her favorite seems to be English...She also gets to take Seminary this year which she is pretty excited about.
![]() |
| [taken at HS orientation] |
Kars and Emm got to sleep in a little later and leave for school together:) In Cheyenne 6th graders are still at the Elementary School, so I was more than happy they would be at the same school for now.
| Emmrey-1st grade Karsyn-6th grade |
However, we did not drop them off at the same building. Of all the Elementary schools here, we live in the boundary for the one that splits upper and lower grades in two different buildings. They are not even on the same campus...so it's basically like taking them to 2 different schools (although they operate as 1). How crazy is that??? On a positive note, the school is small and therefore, so are the classes which I can appreciate:) Kars goes to the Miller building [grades 4-6].
There is only one 6th grade class, but it does have 24 kids in it. Her teacher is Mrs. Norgauer. Karsy seems to like her teaching style, she likes to have fun...but also knows when its time for work. She made a good first impression at Back to School Night, so we are hopeful. The biggest challenge will be keeping this girl from getting bored;(
Emm goes to the Deming building which is several blocks away. It houses grades K-3 and although it's old [they both are] it has a certain charm.
Emmrey's teacher is Mrs. Flock. She seems to have a real knack for working with kids, but maybe not so much with adults? I may learn I am wrong on that...just first impression. Emm really seems to like her, so that is what really matters. There are only 15 kids in her class....love that!! It is soooo strange for me to not know the ins and outs of the school.
In Cody I knew every teacher and they knew our entire family. I kinda
felt like I was dropping off my girls with strangers and just hoping
they were in good hands....such a different experience. I hope lots of
volunteering will change that a little bit:)
We had our traditional Back to School Dinner. This year, Mark was actually in town...whoo hoo!! He got to help drop the girls off and everything...they were thrilled:) I detoured from the "school" theme and just went with a simple "Choose to Shine" theme....hoping the girls will use this as their motto for the year:)
Dinner was simple....we had a candlelight dinner with personalized pizzas that each of us made to our liking. It is always a great way to end the day and listen to the girlies share how things went for them:)
Here's to another school year!! I am so proud of these girls and their courageous attitudes with all that has been thrown at them this year. I really do hope they choose to shine:)

It looks like the first day was a big success..love your dinner inspiration. Seems Bailee is diving into high school with that class load and all she is involved in. Hope school stays upbeat for all of you. Chase thought it was so awesome he and Karsyn have the same backpack :0
ReplyDelete